tea time

tea time

Monday, September 28, 2009

Catching Fire
Author: Suzanne Collins
Genre: YA/Science Fiction
Grade: B


This is book two of the hunger games series. I adored the first book in this series and really wanted to give this one an A. Many of the elements that made the first book an A were still there -- crisp characterization, excellent prose, good plot continuity, page turning action BUT -- I felt a few things were forced. Without giving any of the plot away it is difficult to discuss but I would say my complaints are the same as those I had for "New Moon". The addition of a third character where none was needed annoyed me. The character himself bothered me because I thought he continually saw Katniss not as a whole person but as a means to an end -- initially that end was that she was the kind of person who would be an asset to his own life, moving the family forward through hard work or after Hunger Games, money. Then he saw her as a flame and symbol who could help the districts catch fire and revolt. I wondered if he ever looked at her and saw her -- a woman who needed help and guidance sometimes, who needed to be held during nightmares. I could easily see him getting impatient after missing a few nights sleep, unlike Peeta with his absolutely selfless love. In the end, like "New Moon", the triangle added just derailed the story a bit for me. Can't wait to get to book three and hopefully find the books back on track.

Tea: Stick with Blackcherry Berry by Celestial Seasonings. The natural flavor and sweetness match the nature of this book. And really, get them from the library. These and "What I Saw and How I Lied" are looking to be my favorite books of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment